Kilmacs defeated in JAFC Quarter Final

A feeling of disbelief amongst Kilmacabea supporters was the ultimate feeling as our Junior Footballers exited the Carbery Junior A Football Championship, after a cruel one point defeat to Ballinascarthy in the Quarter Final played at a glorious Ardfield last Sunday evening. Having led the the game from the start, with our Cork star Damien Gore on great form and the whole team playing very well it looked like another victory was in sight. Having started without two influential players, Sam O Driscoll and Darren Whooley, from last week’s victory over St Colums, the Kilmacs were playing well but were being put under severe pressure from a youthful Bal side. Leading by a single point at half time (0-6 to 0-5) it looked like the KIlmacs would finally crack their opponents when they led by four points with ten minutes to go. But the loss of firstly defensive stalwart Niall Hayes (black card) and then experienced midfielder Daniel O Donovan (injured), was taking its toll as the KIlmacs started to drop deeper and deeper to protect their lead. Despite a long range Colin McCarthy free putting four points again between the sides, the men from Henry Ford Park refused to give up and cut the lead to two points deep into injury time. A speculative delivery from a free , eight minutes into added time, close to the sideline, landed into the Kilmac square and unfortunately a Bal boot struck the ball to the back of Matthew O Neills rigging and snatched the game from the Kilmacs. The final whistle blew soon after-wards and it was a crestfallen team that left the field afterwards.

Despite this heart-breaking defeat and the ending of our team’s ambitions to win 3 in a row Carbery Junior Football titles, nobody in the parish can deny the pleasure and excitement that this group of players have give us over the past number of years. Thanks to each and everyone of them who have become tremendous ambassadors both on and off the field for the club. Also huge thanks to the management team of Noel McCarthy, Frank Wilson and Alan Tanner for all their hard work throughout the year. And no doubt the Kilmacs will be back in 2020!!

The minors were due to play their backdoor championship game against Clann Na Gael this week, but due to a bereavement in the Drimoleague/ Drinagh club this game is to be refixed in the coming week.

The U12’s will travel to Durrus on Thursday evening to take on Muintir Bhaire in their league semi- final, this game has a 7:15pm throw in and we hope that as many as possible will travel to give our young Kilmacs some support.

Finally many thanks to all those that contributed and gave their time to help collect for the Kilmacabea Og Flag Day held in Skibbereen last Friday. All funds that have been raised will go towards the running of the underage club for the coming year.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.